Friday, November 7, 2008
Kittens - Day 18
Rainsong has definitely come a long way. I noticed earlier today that her pupils no longer stay completely dilated as they used to when I came into the room. She is very calm around me and when she hisses it seems random and habitual. She may be hissing at the residual smell of another cat that lived in that room for about a week or two some months ago. She walks right up to me now and sniffs my fingers and will sometimes take food from my hand if she's at all interested in eating. I still have to move very slowly and deliberately around her... probably a product of some of our first efforts to catch her. I'm also worried about a patch of missing hair on her left hip. It may just be a fight scar that doesn't grow hair, but it could also be a skin condition like mange. The kittens show no sign and I am watching carefully to see if the patch fills in or grows larger. The latter will assuredly prompt a visit to the vet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wouldn't the vet have noted mange? Or did the spot just appear? You are such a good mother. I have a mother raccoon in our backyard area and I am waiting or the day that she brings the cubs out. I fear for them though. There is just not enough wild area for them to live here anymore. It is too grown up.
Speech Prof
Speech Prof
The spot just appeared as far as I can tell. She's very bony though, so the has always appeared to peel back from her hip bones when she sits so it may have been there all along. I'm pretty sure the vet would have noted mange, and I think if she had it, the kittens would too. It seems like it may have started filling in, so I will keep an eye on it. I hope the raccoons are all right. Deforestation is making their lives tenuous.
Post a Comment