Friday, October 24, 2008

Kittens - Day 4


Today was vet day. It went better than you would expect if someone told you randonly she planned to take a feral cat and her kittens to the vet. Rainsong wasn't to have any food after midnight, presumably because the DMD planned to do a blood glucose test among other things. I had to give Rainsong a little food this morning to get her into the cat carrier... that was the easy part. The hard part was getting Bubby to comply. After about half and hour of cajoling and pursuading, all felines were safely in the carrier and the carrier was safely seat-belted into the back of my Civic. Yes, I seat belt them in. I also drive like a grandma. I need one of those signs that says baby on board for vet trips. I'm that much of a "crazy cat lady." Off we went to drop Adam off at work and see Dr. Mengering at Maybeck Animal Hospital.We checked in at the vet where we met a beautiful and sweet German Shephard named Jesse who had a lump under one of her teets. She had surgery today to remove it. We were called back and I explained that Rainsong is feral and might need anesthetized. They agreed. I petted Rainsong for a bit (for the first time ever...she is soooo soft!!!) and I indicated that my kitten was the tortie identical to her. They gave her a shot and I watched as my Rainy was pulled limply from her cage to be examined. I was told to come back around 3 or 4 pm to pick them up. I was nervous but I needed to go get some bloodwork myself and grab lunch, so I left.

Time lapse to 4pm. My mom went with me to pick up the kitties. We learned some interesting info from the vet:
1) She estimates the age of the kittens to be roughly 4 weeks. (So now we have estimates ranging from 2.5-5 weeks)
2) They were all dewormed today and I have medicine to treat them again in two weeks.
3) Rainsong is estimated to be about 11 months old.
4) The vet advised that kittens taken from their mother too early and reared by humans often end up more distant and LESS social than those who stay with the mother and littermates.
4) There were two males not one. I think Bubby is the second boy. So I'm not sure if pink is the right color for the ribbon anymore...but they do say now that real men wear pink.

On our way out we saw Jesse, out of surgery and fine; wish her well in the future. We picked up Adam, dropped of my mom (whom Rainsong seems to like), and moved the kitties back into their nursery. I put down the rugs and played with them for a while. Rainsong jumped out of the carrier and went to eat right beside me. Bubby loves to play; he's all about exploring and batting around cat toys. Tink likes to wrestle. She was owning Willow until he decided to stop being completely lazy. Willow just likes to try to nurse anything near him. All the time. He is a piglet in cat's skin. I'll check in on them again later. Willow will still be nursing. I have plans to attempt to set up a live webcam (!KittenCam!) that feeds to this page. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a day!! I was so worried that they put Rainsong to sleep but I guess it went just fine and dandy. Sounds as if the vet was very caring and informative. I have never blogged in my life and now it takes cats to start me off! Who knew? I like the little piggie kittie. He will be a monster.
Speech Prof

Anonymous said...

OMG.. You are so crazy. Yes, Bubby is a bit slow to warm.. Michele you are such a life saver.. Thank you so much for taking care of the kittens and esp. my lil baby bubby.. My son keeps asking about him..and YES, only real men wear pink.. Too funny that you said that. I told my son the day you picked Bubby up that he was a boy and why the pink ribbin??? He said the same thing, mom pink is for everyone and anyone..(LOL) kids

Michele said...

speech prof...

Welcome to the blogosphere! (This is actually the first real blog I've done too). I really have a lot of faith in the animal clinic I go to. They've taken care of my severely diabetic cat, Catty, whom I have still to introduce here, for over four years so when they put Rainsong under I wasn't too worried.

Michele said...

Bubby is a handful. In the days he's been at my house, he has become the most outgoing one. He walks right up to me, plays with my hands, and just LOVES the little cat toys I put in their play room. I think he is socializing the quickest and will make a great playmate for your son. And pink is for everyone and everything. I site as the perfect example the usual color of my hair.