Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Declawing and Why You Shouldn't Do It

Declawing is the partial or complete amputation of the last bone of each of your cat's toes.  In most countries outside of North America it is illegal, considered inhumane, and regarded as a mutilation.  A cat's paw is a bit like a human hand inside of a mitten.  Unlike our fingernails, however, their claws are attached to the bone.  That's how they can use them to climb trees to flee predators.  The only way to prevent regrowth of the claw is to amputate the bone from whence the claw originates.  I am adamantly opposed to the practice, and I hope that after learning about it, you will be too.   I know some people in the world will continue to do it, but with attention, a clawing carpet, and proper operant conditioning (more on this later) your cat will probably not claw the crap out of your leather couch.  If you are still worried about it, consider getting claw covers which your vet or groomer can put on for you.  See also http://www.declawing.com/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychectomy

::Steps down from soapbox... for now::

No comments: