Happy New Years, everyone! I hope you had a great 2009, but as always, it's time for a new year and a fresh start. I want to fix in 2010 the things I noticed amiss in 2009.
It's that time again... time to make more resolutions with which we won't follow through. My first one is to use better grammar, as can be demonstrated in the previous sentence. I forced myself to not end with a preposition regardless of how weird it sounded.
I'm kidding. I actually have a much less silly list. So here they are, a full baker's dozen, my 2010 New Year's resolutions, listed chronologically by how soon I expect to fail at them:
1) Stop procrastinating /wasting time.
2) Spend less time at the computer / on the Internet.
3) Be less lazy.
4) Pay attention, notice details, and remember them.
5) Develop patience.
6) Get in shape.
7) Develop some sort of style that wouldn't be described as "just woke up sloppy."
8) Eliminate weaknesses that hold me back (physical, mental, emotional, psychological).
9) Exercise self-control & dignity.
10) Become competent at an artistic skill.
11) Write at least one of the 1/2 dozen stories I have floating around in my head & post more.
12) Become competent at my job.
13) Emulate the best qualities of the people / fictional characters I admire most.
Honestly, I'm not sure there's any real chronology here at all. If I fail at one, I've pretty much set myself up to fail at the whole lot. Maybe it's because I just turned 30, or maybe it's just because it's the right time, but I do have a plan of sorts this year. #1 and 2 are crucial time management issues that need to be dealt with for anything else to be possible. #3, 4, 5, 8, 9, and 13 are all dealing with character flaws / encouraging greater expression of desired behavior/ character and will mostly be facilitated by #4. #6, 7, 10, 11, and 12 are skills-based resolutions that require some kind of practice or long-term time and energy commitment made possible by 1, 2, 3,4, 5, 8, 9, and 13. I believe if I can develop 1, 2, and 3 into solid habits, the others stand some chance at success, so I shall focus on those. Feel free to offer any advice or suggestions.
What are your resolutions and how do you plan to make them happen? Do you think it's even possible to set such a list and actually succeed? Know of any success stories?
Friday, January 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey Michelle...mine are: lose weight and enjoy.....slow down and take time to enjoy all of the small things.
your cousin...
Renee
Post a Comment